Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Should you get a mammogram?

Should you get a mammogram?

I actually hear women ponder this question and it befuddles me. The actual question should be "Why shouldn't you get a mammogram"?

In the past 2 years, 4 of my colleagues and 3 of my friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Yes, 5 of the 7 had to have both breasts removed while the other 2 just had to have a lumpectomy. One of them will probably end up dying from the cancer as it has spread to other parts of her body and she is in very bad shape right now. One of them had almost stage 4 and nearly died. Luckily though, after two years of strong chemo and radiation, her pet scan did come back clear recently. She beat cancer. It can be done. I watched it. We work together so I watched her daily fight and it was heartbreaking to say the least.

The other ones had gotten their annual mammograms and the cancer was caught early enough that it did not spread to other parts. They are doing well now. A mammogram is not comfortable but only really takes about ten minutes. I hear so many people say that they don't have time. My least favorite phrase in society today. It's amazing how we have time to play on the internet for long periods of time but not the time to do something that could save our life.

Mammograms save lives. Technology is so advanced that finding breast cancer early reduces mortality. That's a fact. I have been getting annual mammograms since I was 30 (due to my mother had breast cancer when she was 32). The doctor wanted me to start early because of that. Most women don't start until they are 40.I wouldn't recommend that. If your doctor OKs it, start in your 30's. Again, it's a very quick procedure that you can make time for it. I would rather take a half hour a year to get it done than to not catch it in time and have to undergo the 2 years of pure hell that I just watched my co-worker go through.

Do it for yourself. Do it for your family. It is so important.





Get your mammogram and save your TATAs

No comments:

Post a Comment